Last Update: October 24, 2023
- About this Policy
- Your Personal Data Rights and Controls
- Personal Data We Collect About You
- Purpose of Processing
- Sharing of Information
- Data Retention
- Transfer to Other Countries
- Keeping Your Personal Data Safe
- Changes to this Policy
- Contact Us
- Additional California Privacy Disclosures
1. About this Policy
The Voices Service covered by this Policy pertain to the following types of individuals:
- Authors/Rights Holders (“Authors”) who use our Voices Service to create, distribute, and monetize audiobooks.
- Narrators (“Narrators”) who use the Voices Service to connect with Authors.
- Visitor (“Visitors”) who visit our websites to learn more about our Voices Service.
From time to time, we may offer new or additional services. Any such services will also be subject to this Policy, unless stated otherwise.
This Policy is not
- About your use of other services offered by Spotify or Spotify affiliates that do not link to this Policy, such as Spotify Services, Spotify Audiobooks, and Spotify for Podcasters.
2. Your Personal Data Rights and Controls
As provided by applicable privacy laws, certain rights are available to individuals over their personal data.
As available, and except as limited under applicable law, the rights afforded to individuals are described in the table below.
|Type of Right
|It’s your right to…
|Be informed of the personal data we process about you and how we process it.
|Request access to the personal data we process about you.
|Request that we amend or update your personal data where it’s inaccurate or incomplete.
Request that we erase certain personal data about you.
For example, you can ask us to erase personal data:
There are situations where we are unable to delete your data, for example when:
Request that we stop processing all or some of your personal data.
You can do this if:
You can request that we stop this processing temporarily or permanently.
Object to us processing your personal data.
You can do this if Findaway Voices is processing your personal data on the legal basis of legitimate interests.
Request a copy of your personal data in electronic format and the right to transmit that personal data for use in another party’s service.
You can request us to transmit your data when we are processing your personal data on the legal basis of consent or performance of contract. However Findaway Voices will try to honor any request to the extent possible.
|Not be subject to automated decision making
Not be subject to a decision based solely on automated decision making (decisions without human involvement), including profiling, where the decision would have a legal effect on you or produce a similarly significant effect.
Note that we do not carry out this type of automated decision making in Findaway Voices.
|Withdrawal of consent
Withdraw your consent to us collecting or using your personal data.
You can do this if Findaway Voices is processing your personal data on the legal basis of consent.
|Right to lodge a complaint
Contact your local data protection authority about any questions or concerns.
If you are a resident of the state of California, after January 1, 2020, please see our supplemental policy “Additional California Privacy Disclosures” which will discuss additional privacy rights you may have under applicable law regarding the processing of your personal data.
II. Exercising Your Rights
You can request to exercise your rights by contacting us through the details provided in Section 11 of this Policy.
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and facilitate your request. We may decline requests to exercise these rights where we are unable to authenticate you as the person to whom the data relates. We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your rights.
You may designate, in writing or through a power of attorney, an authorized agent to make requests on your behalf to exercise your rights. Before accepting such a request from an agent, we will require the agent to provide proof you have authorized it to act on your behalf, and we may need you to verify your identity directly with us.
3. Personal Data We Collect About You
These tables set out the categories of personal data we collect and use.
|Collected when you sign up for our Voices Service or when you update your account
This is the personal data that we need to create your Findaway Voices account and that enables you to use the Voices Service.
We receive this information from you directly when you sign up for the Voices Service, except for the username which is generated automatically after submitting the sign-up form.
You also have the option to provide us with additional data by creating a user profile. This user profile can include the following personal data:
|Collected through your usage of the Voices Service and this website
This is personal data collected and processed about Visitors, Authors, and Narrators when you’re accessing or using the Voices Service.
There are a few types of information this includes, listed in the following sections:
Information about how you use our Voices Service:
Your Technical Data:
|Additional information you may choose to give us
|Narrator and Author Data
Narrators and Authors have the option of creating a public profile to identify and market themselves to others, and to help connect Narrators and Authors with each other. The Narrator and Author Profile Data can include:
|Payment and Purchase Data
If you make a purchase on the Voices Service, such as when an Author pays a Narrator for their narration services, or when a Narrator pays for access to our premium audiobook creation tools, we will need to process your payment data. The payment data will be collected and processed by our payment partners. The exact personal data collected and used will vary depending on the payment method, but may include information such as:
|Payout and Tax Data
If you earn money while using the Voices Service, we will need to process your Payout and Tax Data so we can send you owed payments and to fill out any appropriate tax forms. The exact personal data collected and used will vary depending on the payment method you select and your tax region, but may include the following:
|Survey and Research Data
When you complete any forms, respond to a survey, or take part in user research, we collect and use the personal data you provide.
|Third party sources that we collect your data from
|Categories of Third Parties
|We work with certain eBook partners to enable you to transfer your eBook information over to the Voices Service in order to make it into an audiobook. This will also create a Findaway Voices account for you, unless you already have one.
If you make a purchase on the Voices Service, we may get data from our payment partner. This allow us to:
4. Purpose of Processing
The table below sets out:
- our purpose for processing your personal data
- our legal justifications (each called a 'legal basis') under data protection law, for each purpose
- categories of personal data which we use for each purpose. See more about these categories in Section 3.
Here is a general explanation of each 'legal basis' to help you understand the table:
- Performance of a Contract: When it's necessary for Findaway Voices (or a third party) to process your personal data to:
- verify information before a new contract with you begins.
- Legitimate Interest: When Findaway Voices or a third party has an interest in using your personal data in a certain way, which is necessary and justified considering any possible risks to you and other Findaway Voices users. For example, using your Usage Data to improve the Voices Service for all users. Contact us if you want to understand a specific justification.
- Consent:When Findaway Voices asks you to actively indicate your agreement to Findaway Voices’ use of your personal data for a certain purpose.
- Compliance with Legal Obligations: When Findaway Voices must process your personal data to comply with a law.
|Purpose for processing your data
|Legal basis that permits the purpose
|Categories of personal data used for the purpose
|To provide the Voices Service (as defined in Section 1)
|To understand, diagnose, troubleshoot, and fix issues with the Voices Service.
|To evaluate and develop new features, technologies, and improvements to the Voices Service.
|For marketing, promotion, and advertising purposes.
|To comply with legal obligations and law enforcement requests.
|To fulfill contractual obligations with third parties.
|To establish, exercise, or defend legal claims.
|To conduct business planning, reporting, and forecasting.
|To process your payment or payout.
|To detect and prevent fraud. For example, fraudulent payments and fraudulent use of the Voices Service.
|To conduct research and surveys
5. Sharing of Information
This section sets out the categories of recipients of the personal data collected or generated through your use of the Voices Service.
I. Publicly available information:
You may choose to make the following personal data publicly available on the Voices Service:
- The Narrator and Author Data you choose to make available on your profile
- Content you post on the Voices Service, and any associated titles, descriptions, and images
- Public ratings and reviews left by others on your Findaway Voices Author or Narrator profile
II. Information we may share with others
The table below provides details of who we share with, and why:
|Categories of Recipients
|Categories of Data You Can Choose to Share
|Reason for Sharing
So they can provide their services to Findaway Voices.
These service providers include those we hire to:
So they can process your payments, and for anti-fraud purposes.
To promote Findaway Voices with our partners. We share some personal data with these partners where necessary to:
Our partners may also combine the personal data we share with them with other data they collect about you (e.g. your use of their service). We and our partners may use this information to present you with offers, promotions, or other marketing activities that we believe will be relevant to you.
|Other Spotify group companies
|To carry out our daily business operations and so we can maintain and provide the Voices Service to you.
|Law enforcement and other authorities
When we believe in good faith it’s necessary for us to do so, for example:
|Purchasers of our business
If we were to sell or negotiate to sell our business to a buyer or possible buyer.
In this case, we may transfer your personal data to a successor or affiliate as part of that transaction.
6. Data Retention
We keep your personal data only as long as necessary to provide you with the Voices Service and for Findaway Voices legitimate and essential business purposes, such as:
- maintaining the performance of the Voices Service
- making data-driven business decisions about new features and offerings
- complying with our legal obligations
- resolving disputes
When determining the retention period, we take into account various criteria, such as the type of information, the nature and length of our relationship with you, the impact on that relationship if data is deleted, mandatory retention periods provided by law or statute of limitations.
7. Transfer to Other Countries
Because of the global nature of our business, Findaway Voices shares personal data internationally with other Spotify group companies, subcontractors and partners when carrying out the activities described in this Policy. They may process your data in countries whose data protection laws are not considered to be as strong as EU laws or the laws which apply where you live. For example, they may not give you the same rights over your data.
Whenever we transfer personal data internationally, we use tools to:
- make sure the data transfer complies with applicable law
- help to give your data the same level of protection as it has in the EU and the laws which apply where you live
8. Keeping Your Personal Data Safe
We're committed to protecting our users' personal data. We put in place appropriate technical and organizational measures to help protect the security of your personal data. However, be aware that no system is ever completely secure.
We have implemented various safeguards to guard against unauthorised access and unnecessary retention of personal data in our systems. These include pseudonymisation, encryption, access, and retention policies.
To protect your user account, we encourage you to:
- use a strong password which you only use for your Findaway Voices account
- never share your password with anyone
- limit access to your computer and browser
- log out once you have finished using the Voices Service on a shared device
If other individuals have access to your Findaway Voices account (for example if you've given them permission to use your account on a shared device), then they can access personal data, controls and the Voices Service available in your account.
9. Changes to this Policy
We may occasionally make changes to this Policy.
When we make material changes to this Policy, we'll provide you with prominent notice as appropriate under the circumstances. For example, we may display a prominent notice within the Voices Service or send you an email.
10. Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Policy, please contact our Data Protection Officer by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to us at the following address:
- Data controller if you reside in the US: Spotify USA, Inc. 150 Greenwich St New York, NY 10007, USA
- Data controller if you reside in any other country than the US: Spotify AB, Regeringsgatan 19, 111 53 Stockholm, Sweden
We hope you enjoy Findaway Voices!
Annex 1 – Additional California Privacy Disclosures
Additional California Privacy Disclosures
Last updated, Nov 22, 2022
The California Consumer Privacy Act ("CCPA") gives California residents certain rights with respect to the processing of personal data (known as "personal information" under the CCPA).
Personal Information Collected and Processed
Requests to Exercise Your Rights
RIGHT TO KNOW REQUEST - Under the CCPA, you have a right to request information about our collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information over the prior 12 months, and ask that we provide you with the following information:
- Categories of and specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you.
- Categories of sources from which we collect personal information.
- Purposes for collecting personal information.
- Categories of third parties with which we share personal information.
- Categories of personal information disclosed about you for a business purpose
- If applicable, categories of personal information sold about you and the categories of third parties to which the personal information was sold, by category or categories of personal information for each third party to which the personal information was sold.
To make a verifiable request for information about the personal information we have collected about you, please email us at email@example.com.
RIGHT TO DELETE REQUEST - You also have a right to request that we delete personal information, subject to certain exceptions. You may exercise your right to delete by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOUSEHOLD REQUESTS - We currently do not collect household data. If all the members of a household make a Right to Know or Right to Delete request, we will respond as if the requests are individual requests.
REQUESTS, GENERALLY - Please note, if you do not have a Findaway Voices account we will not have enough information about you to verify your Right to Know and Right to Delete requests, as we do not keep sufficient information necessary to reidentify and link you to a prior visit to Findaway Voices where data may have been collected. As such, we will be unable to verify and honor your requests. You may make a verifiable consumer request related to your personal information twice per 12-month period. We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your rights under the CCPA.
REQUESTS MADE THROUGH AGENTS - You may designate, in writing or through a power of attorney, an authorized agent to make requests on your behalf to exercise your rights. Before accepting such a request from an agent, we will require the agent to provide proof you have authorized it to act on your behalf, and we may need you to verify your identity directly with us.
Between January 1 and December 31, 2021 we received 0 global verifiable right to delete requests and 0 right to know requests. We complied 0 right to deletion requests and denied 0.
Disclosures of Personal Information for a Business Purpose
- User Data
- Usage Data
- Narrator and Author Data
- Payment and Purchase Data
- Payout and Tax Data
- Survey and Research Data
Sale of Personal Information
We do not sell personal information. We have taken substantial steps to identify and remediate any data sharing arrangements that could constitute a "sale" under the CCPA.
You may contact us by writing or emailing us at email@example.com or at the postal address indicated above.